Tips for Motorcycle Trips in Great Britain
What do you have to take into consideration when traveling to Great Britain? Which documents do you have to take with you? Louis provides you with answers to the most important questions. No liability is accepted for errors – Louis does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of information.
Documents you must have with you
- Driving licence and vehicle registration certificate
- ID card or passport (since 26.6.12 it has also been obligatory for children travelling within the EU to have their own identity document.)
- International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) is recommended.
+ Recommended Products: Document Bag »
First-aid kit / Hi-vis vest
It is not mandatory to carry a first-aid kit or high-visibility vest. However, we recommend you always carry both.
+ Recommended Products: Motorcycle Warning Triangle, Safety Vest, First-AID Kit, Warning Light »
It is mandatory to wear a helmet! Only helmets which conform to the ECE 22 standard are approved.
+ Recommended Products: Visor and Helmet Cleaner, Proofer »
Motorcycles must have their headlight on even during the daytime.
+ Recommended Products: Motorcycle Lightbulbs »
- Within built-up areas: 48 km/h
- Outside built-up areas: 96 km/h
- Motorways & dual carriageways: 112 km/h
The London Congestion Charge does not apply to motorcycles. A toll is payable on part of the [ M6 ] motorway and some bridges.
112 or 999
Legal alcohol limit
- 0.08% (80 mg/100 ml blood)
- 0.05% (50 mg/100 ml blood): In Scotland
Tourism in Great Britain: www.visitbritain.com
Caution: left-hand driving! Asymmetrical low beam headlights must be adapted.
Motorcycle trips across the Great Britain borders
Here you will find country tips for motorcycle trips in Great Britain neighbouring countries.
- Ireland *
* To provide you with even better support when you plan your next tour, we will shortly be adding still more countries.